Thursday, November 7, 2013

Instilling A Love Of Reading!


     I have always loved to read and still do when I have time.  I loved reading to my kids when they were little and they loved to go to any program the library had for kids.  I have read to my grands some and they liked but recently they have really come alive with reading.

We took them to a party at the library for little ones on Halloween night and they had a blast. The first thing they wanted to know was when we could go back.  The next day we took them all back to check out their own books.  We found out the library has a reading program for little ones on Wednesdays at 10:30 am so we went today for the first time.  They had a blast listening to stories and then they made these cute little turkeys for Thanksgiving.   

 They got asked to have their turkeys posted on the library bulletin board.  They will get them back at the end of the month.  The girls could not wait to show Daddy their pictures on the wall.

Also their pediatrician has a reading program and every time they go to the library they are allowed to pick a book to take home and keep so they can build their own library at home.  They also had a candy buy back program where you could take some of your Halloween candy to them and they would give you a book.  The kids wanted to do this and we liked that they got a book and the candy will go in Operation Christmas shoeboxes and also will be used in a fundraiser to support a scholarship for a student at a local school.  We thought it was a win win situation.

I am just loving seeing the grands wanting to read and have a love of books.  Does your town do anything to support reading?  Do you read to your kids and have books they can look at and learn to read?  One other thing I have done is get the kids library bags for Christmas and I am so excited to give them to them.  I hope I can wait til Christmas.  I would love to hear what you do to instill a love of reading in your kids or grands.


God bless, 
Pat

No comments:

Post a Comment

Taking a Break to see if I want to continue

I am taking a break from here.  I am not sure if I want to continue or if my blog is another thing that is just a thing of the past.  I ...