Monday, June 20, 2016

VBS for Grownup Girls



I loved VBS or Vacation Bible school as a child.  It was one of my favorite times of the year.  We went to age appropriate classes to learn, craft time, song and snack time.  I loved it all, hearing the "stories" from the bible, the crafts that brought it to life for us and the singing time too; and what little kid doesn't like snacktime and being with your friends.

As I got older I loved and still love working in VBS.  So the first time I saw something online about a VBS for grown up girls I was like, Oh yeah.  We just had bible school at our church and now it is time for my VBS again too.  

This year we are studying the Psalms, which happens to be my favorite book in the bible.There are 2 plans or classes and the one I chose is:  1)  Soaking in the Psalms ~ Savor 4 Psalms a week. You can read all the passages at once, read a few verses a day, or read them through several times and really meditate on the themes. This week’s Psalms are Psalm 181923, and 24.

Our teacher is Christin Ditchfield and she said "The kind of reading I’m asking you to do is “active reading” – asking questions as you read, underlining key words and phrases, making note of things that come to mind. Journal about verses that speak to you. "
For the Psalms she says " specifically, pay attention to:
  • things that bother you when you read them (feel free to ask hard questions here, or research answers on your own – but resist the urge to ignore or skip over them)
  • verses you recognize from choruses, hymns, literature, movies, and other cultural references
  • familiar passages that bring back powerful memories; treasure the memories, but consider new ways these verses might apply to your life today."
Today is the first day and it is so exciting, I have already did my reading and journaling for today and am working on my memory verse for this week which is "Psalm 18:28" It is not too late to join in and if you are interested then click here VBS For GrownUp Girls
and by the way it goes today through July 29th so lets soak in some Psalms this summer. 

I will be sharing more as this VBS goes on and even if you don't join us I hope you will check back to see how it is going and what we are learning.

God bless,
Pat


No comments:

Post a Comment

Taking a Break to see if I want to continue

I am taking a break from here.  I am not sure if I want to continue or if my blog is another thing that is just a thing of the past.  I ...