Monday, July 22, 2013

Dirt Day In Children's Church!

 
     Every month we try to have a special Sunday.  Yesterday was July's and we had Dirt Sunday.  They say kids learn more and retain it easier when they use more of their senses so I set out to see how many we could use.
     First we had our lesson, we talked about when God created the world and divided the dry land from the seas.  We talked about how much we need dirt to survive.  We need dirt for the trees which help with the oxygen we breathe, the plants we grow to eat and to enjoy.  I never knew how much we need dirt til I started preparing for this lesson, God knew and provided for us.  I bet you will look at dirt differently now too.
     Then we did a coloring picture and on the picture was a flower pot and in the top instead of just coloring the dirt brown we actually spread glue and put real dirt on it.  We passed the dirt around and each one felt it and smelled to see what it smelled like.  Next, we planted some flower seeds in some potting soil and they felt the difference and smelled to see how this special dirt was different from the dirt I had dug up outside.  Last and certainly the favorite we ate dirt.  Now before you spazz out it was crushed oreo cookies, chocolate pudding and gummy worms. 
     The kids seemed to really enjoy their day.  My only regret for the day is that I was so busy enjoying the day with the children that I got no pictures.  Next month is Sweet Sunday and I will come back to share it and I promise I will get pictures then. What do you think about dirt now?
 
 God bless,
Pat


No comments:

Post a Comment

Taking a Break to see if I want to continue

I am taking a break from here.  I am not sure if I want to continue or if my blog is another thing that is just a thing of the past.  I ...