Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Happy Meals And A Dime


      In November, Mrs. Diane, a missionary out of our church spoke at the ladies meeting.  She was talking about several of the programs she has started in the Philippines.  The one that really struck my heart was the one for feeding the children.  She said for approximately 10 cents a day American money she can feed a child.  As many as they feed, they just can't feed all the ones that are hungry.

     I just could not get this off of my heart, I realized that for the same price as a kids meal that I think nothing of buying for my grands, you could feed one of these kids for a whole month.  I knew I had to do something.

     Then God laid an idea on my heart.  I teach 4 & 5 year old in Children's church.  We are called "Gods Little Froggies".  I was at the dollar store and I found a green frog bank similar to the one above and it even counts the money so you know how much you have.  My class has adopted a little boy and girl from the program and we are raising dimes and we want to raise enough money each month to feed them.  For a 31 day month we only need to raise $6.20 and we can feed them both for a month.


     Now will I still buy my grands a kids meal?  Yeah, every once in a while I will but I sure look at it differently now. Next time you see McDonald's think about this and if the kids cross your mind, pray we can raise this money or more.  God has blessed us so much and I just want to teach my kids to be a blessing back.
God bless,
Pat

4 comments:

  1. You know, we talked with some Filipino national missionaries at a Mission Conference. My husband asked one what $10 US money would buy. He told us that he could buy a bag of rice for his family and that would feed them for one month.

    Most people spend that on one meal for themselves. Imagine what they could do if they sacrificed one meal a week and sent that money at the end of the month.

    This is a very good post, Pat. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the post Pat. It truly doesn' take much to make a difference in the life of a child.
    I enjoy it when it's time to feed our bus children through our bus minsitry. So often those children get on the bus hungry while their parents are still sleeping off the nights partying! :( So thankful for a church that supports missions 100%
    God Bless,
    Gwen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice post.

    It is amazing how selfish we can be here in America while we overlook what others go through.

    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete

Taking a Break to see if I want to continue

I am taking a break from here.  I am not sure if I want to continue or if my blog is another thing that is just a thing of the past.  I ...