Thursday, June 30, 2011

How to have quiet time with God......

      I am working hard on having a daily quiet time with God and know several others are too.  I read this and it helped me some and I thought I would share in case I might help you too.....

 How to have a "Quiet Time"

Author Unknown  

What is a“Quiet Time”?

A “Quiet Time” is a daily personal appointment with God, during which we get away from distractions and meet with God through prayer and Bible study. Through these disciplines God talks to us and we talk to God.

Why is Connecting Daily with God through a Quiet Time so Important?
  1. It reminds us that we belong to God.

  2. It creates room for God in our busy lives.

  3. It builds our relationship with God through regular communication.

  4. It helps give direction to our lives as followers of Jesus Christ.

  5. It enables to live deep and fulfilling lives.
What are some Practical Steps to do a Quiet Time?
  1. Set some time aside during a day, or every day.

    Start with about 15 minutes and you work up to 30 minutes and more for each day.~~~ ( I sometimes only get 5 or 10 minutes but am trying)~~~

  2. Pick a place that you want to go to be alone:

    • It doesn’t matter where you go (a lake, bedroom, roof, park, etc.). The important thing is that you get rid of all distractions. Get away from people, phones, the internet, computers, anything that would detour your thoughts from God.
  3. Get your Materials Together
    • A Bible ~~~~I use KJV only but you have to decide what works for you~~~
    • A notebook and pen~~~you might want to write down a verse that speaks to you or prayer requests that you are praying over~~~
    •  A CD player or MP3 player to listen to praise music

  4. Follow a Simple Plan
    • Relax, Be Quiet before God – ask God to settle your mind and heart and then to become present with you! It is difficult to set aside all the voices in our lives that compete for our attention. Here are some practical activities to help you.

      • Turn your mind toward God. Think about who he is, what he has done, and your relationship with him. This intentional focusing on God begins your quiet time.

    • Worship-
      • Praise – for who God is.
      • Thanksgiving – for what God has done.
      • Adoration – express to God your love for Him
      • Listen and/or sing a worship song or two to God.
      •  
    • Bible – Read , asking God to speak to you through the Word.

      • Read slowly
      • Write down in your notebook anything you observe and learn from God in the passage.

    • Pray – Talk to God
      • About anything you’ve just read in the Bible.

      • About your requests for others (family, loved ones, Christian friends, non-Christian friends, family and colleagues, our church, government, missions).

      • About what you need (confession and forgiveness of sin, Christlikeness, daily filling of His Holy Spirit, work, finances, family, relationships, witness).
This is a be all, end all but just something I found that I thought might help you....I know I am working harder on having my quiet time daily.  I hope that this might can get you started on what works for you to have yours.
God bless,
Pat

No comments:

Post a Comment

Taking a Break to see if I want to continue

I am taking a break from here.  I am not sure if I want to continue or if my blog is another thing that is just a thing of the past.  I ...